Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Dig Out

Okay just so you know...the dig out is only critical in how much money you want to spend on concrete. The digout determines the level of the ground. The more uniform and level the ground the less concrete. The less concrete---less money.

The going rate on Whidbey is around $100 a yard for the concrete, and $145-190 a yard for labor per yard. (Remember, I am doing this myself so I am not paying the 15-20% markup that gets passed along by the GC to the homeowner). So, every yard of concrete cost me around $260++.

So my digout caused my footing in places to be about 13 inches thick. Well beyond the 8 inches required. Trust me, I calculated how much that cost me. I figure about 4-6 extra yards because the digout was not uniform and level. In my book, that's about $1,800 dollars. The concrete guy said my digout was about average and he has seen a lot worse.

That didn't make me feel better at all.

No comments: